Monday, December 12, 2011

One Lucky Girl

This adorable little animal was sitting at my desk today when I returned from lunch.

My boyfriend is in the middle of a war zone and he still has time to show me how much he loves me. He's a keeper! And I am one lucky girl to call him mine.

I spent the evening trying to keep Sessa cat from chewing the ribbons on the balloon and explaining to Rara that the big stuffed animal was mommy's, not Raleigh's.

The last week or so has been a total mess, hence my absence in the blogosphere-sorry readers! (Shout out to my grandma, an avid reader of my blog. I'm surprised she hasn't emailed me yet wondering where I am :) I love you!)

When life gets hectic, I often let my mopier side get the best of me;  especially when I have something as significant as Greg's absence to mope about. I forget to enjoy the little things throughout the day and just focus on the negative. I don't think that is an uncommon side effect of stress. Did I mention I'm now working two jobs and trying to keep up with all my volunteer activities and political hobbies while maintaining my (very) long distance relationship? Life is currently pretty stressful.

But seeing this cute little bear sitting on my swivel chair today reminded me of how fortunate I truly am and how petty I have been lately. How could I not appreciate life when I have someone who cares about me so much? How could I not appreciate life when I come home each night to a dog who loves me unconditionally and a cat who behaves like the queen of the apartment? How could I not appreciate life when I have the ability to make a difference in the lives of others?

Human streams of consciousness, at least mine, is sort-of like a yoyo. You figure something out and you feel like you've mastered it and then just as quickly as it reached you, it falls away for a while and then something happens and that realization returns.

I find I have to continually remind myself to enjoy each day and love myself and those around me for all their endearing qualities and their imperfections. I guess, the more I practice joy and love, the more natural and instinctive those emotions will become.

That is the purpose of this year and this blog after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment