Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The First Step

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Matin Luther King Jr.

Martin Luther King Jr. was an incredible man. And for some reason, his words of wisdom keep cropping up in my life. This quote was read today in my yoga class and curiously enough, it fits pretty perfectly with my life right now. I know it's pretty cliche to quote great individuals, but if the shoe fits...

I'm very fond of another quote of his, one that was recited at the funeral of another incredible man not so long ago. "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." - Martin Luther King Jr. This quote inspired me to change a lot of things in my life. It even brought me back to my college town where I met Greg.

But today's post is not about the purest and most robust souls who have left this earth to walk among the heavens nor is it about the night I met greg. Although I could write about both topics for hours. It's about knowing that the same purity and resilience of those who have passed on resides within each one of us and we must only trust in ourselves to let it out. It's about having faith.

Too often we let ourselves hold back on our potential out of fear. I know I do it and I don't think I am alone in that. Sometimes it's fear of failure, sometimes it's fear of rejection by others, sometimes it's fear that we might actually achieve what we set out to do and sometimes it's fear that we won't ever make it so there is no use in trying. Whatever your fear is, you can conquer it if you only have a little faith.

Faith is not something that you find like a lost sock in your t-shirt drawer, although that would be much easier. Faith is something you acquire gradually by learning to trust in yourself and know that the decisions you make are the right ones for you; faith is something you build in others as they continue to come through when you need them every time; faith is something you gain from living and learning that everything really does have a purpose and a reason because it all works out in the end.

To find great faith, you have to make great gestures: you have to take the first step. I don't mean leaping blindly into something, although blind faith can be a good thing. I'm talking about latching onto that tugging feeling in the pit of your stomach or the back of your mind, listening to the voice inside your head and letting it guide you forward even if you don't know where it will lead you. And that's not easy.

Greg and I both took the first step when we decided to stay together even though he was leaving. Neither one of us knew how we were going to make this work. All we knew is that it felt right and that had to stand for something, right? We took the first step towards each other because we had faith in ourselves and we had faith that the world had not thrown us together for no good reason. And we were right.

Now, I find myself in another mess and things do not seem to be going according to any sensical plan car-wise, work-wise, pet-wise and otherwise (except Greg-wise, that's perfect...all except the deployment part). But I believe that if I only keep stepping forward that the world will work itself out the way it is supposed to and I will be in a better position for having moved through it.

Faith can be the biggest mountain you climb but at the top you will discover paradise. What's your story of faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment