Saturday, November 19, 2011

Do What Feels Right

I write a lot about self-honor and self-love. Mastering these two ideas is the whole premise of my blog. But these concepts are HUGE. Trust me, I've been struggling with them for years, way before I began writing, and I still don't have a full grasp of how expansive their scope is. What I do know is this: the fastest road to loving yourself more is by doing what feels right to you, or honoring yourself.

There are many things in our lives that we have no control over: the obligations of our jobs, whether our car runs or not, the actions and reactions of others, the list goes on and on.

But of the decisions we can make, of the choices we are given, it is important to make the ones that are best for us, the ones that make us happiest. These acts do not have to be huge. In fact, it's better to start small: choosing an outfit that is more comfortable one day, having blueberry waffles for breakfast instead of grainy cereal, staying in on a Friday night instead of going out because you need a little me time.

In our world, it is so easy to get caught up in how society tells us to dress or how we are expected to behave. It is just as easy to get lost in the words of others and act to appease someone other than ourselves. Remembering to do what is best for us, choosing the option that will bring us the most comfort or joy, is not always the easiest path to choose.

For me, this is a constant struggle. And not just something I face once a day; choosing to honor myself is an option I face when I wake up, when I get dressed, when I decide what to eat for breakfast, when I go to yoga or skip a class. For someone as indecisive as I am, figuring out what to choose and which choice is the best has been the biggest challenge.

But what I've learned is to clear my head and listen (yes, I do actually try to do this in front of my closet and my fridge).

Have you ever found yourself in a situation that could potentially turn dangerous, like a friend offering you a ride home after they have had a few drinks? That little voice in the very back of your head starts to pipe up, louder and louder saying "Don't you dare get in that car!" It's that voice that I hear when my mind clears. That guiding, nagging, Jiminie Cricket on your shoulder never actually goes away, it just isn't always shouting. If you let it, that voice will guide you through just about anything, and I mean anything. Tuning into that voice on a regular basis, however, can be a bit of a challenge.

But knowing that it's there when you need it, can be a comforting thing. See, we already know the answers to all our questions. But it takes getting to know ourselves to really hear the words.

Being happy is important. After all, we are only here for a short time. We should make the best of it. So next time you are craving that cookie after dinner and you can't get it out of your head, go for it. It's probably that little voice in the back of your mind telling you that your body is low on sugar. At least, that's what I like to think :) Did I mention I love cookies?

Today's lesson: The choices we make are directly connected to the amount of love we have for ourselves. I have become the person I am today because of the choices I have made. If I don't like who I am, I should make different choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment